atmaav

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

My first love

If you thought this was about a girl, I apologize. Because my first love was a children’s story called “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”.


Charlie was to me the hero who lived my life before I did. Lonely and penniless, Charlie was an outsider in his own town. At an age when indulgence in chocolate was encouraged, Charlie’s parents could hardly afford a warm home. His life did not lack warmth because there was plenty of it from his grandparents and parents who lived in the same wooden cabin. But, he could not venture far outside of it. I also know what it feels like to be an outsider.

I was five when my family packed up our belongings and moved to Germany. One day, I found myself holding my father’s hand and collecting my water bottle on the shelf by the classroom as he talked with my nursery teacher. The next thing I remember is boarding a plane full of quiet, serious Germans. With a one-year old bawling toddler in one hand and a five year old child in the other, my parents had quite a challenge on their hands when they arrived in Frankfurt. And it didn’t help that I could not speak English except for a a very practical “Madam, may I go to the toilet please?”. To call it culture shock is an understatement.

The feeling of being an outsider is universal to expatriates. And most take the challenge of assimilating into a new culture and learning a new language in their stride. But at five, I was overwhelmed. I was so stricken by fear that on my first day on the way to my new school, I sat quietly in the school bus, squarely facing the window, all by myself on the seat. Silence though on a school bus is like shouting in an exam hall. It just doesn’t happen. A slightly older girl noticed me and introduced herself. She said, “Hi”, but I didn’t respond. I was too scared. She asked, “Why don’t you speak?” What could have I said? At that age, I could understand English when it was spoken, but could not muster a single line of self provoked thought. I didn’t realize how hard I was trying to avoid her until she asked, “Are you kissing the window?”

My attempts to learn English were no less successful. I remember my first snowfall and the bewilderment it brought to me. Our kindergarten teacher was a lovely lady, perhaps a little culturally challenged, but only a little. She asked us to draw snowmen, but I had never seen a snowman. Yet, art is often divorced from reality, so it probably did not matter. The real fun started when she asked us to label our drawings. Now, I could not spell “snow” for the life of me, let alone “snowman”. So I did what seemed to me was the next best thing. I looked at my closest neighbour’s drawing and copied him. But, unlike high school where copying a word here or there may seem pretty quick and easy to do, my writing skills at five could not have matched a snail’s pace for all the practice in the world. So, my pride at discovering a shortcut was short-lived and I got quite an earful from my teacher when she discovered my tiny, ever so innocent, sin. I absorbed a valuable lesson then and there: as an outsider, you have to hold yourself by your bootstraps.

It’s hard to tell, but I may have continued feeling that way all through my life had I not come across Charlie in my school’s Scholastic Book catalogue. I’m not sure what drew me to the book, but I insisted on placing an order for it. The day it came, I picked it up and did not put it down until I finished reading it. And by the time I did, Charlie had given me a new lease on life.

Many folks I run into grew up reading up Enid Blyton and Roald Dahl fans are hard to find among them. Maybe it’s because Blyton’s books are reassuringly full of families, friends and stories placed in domestic settings. There is nothing outlandish about them. Dahl’s heroes on the other hand were almost exclusively individuals fighting their alienation. Matilda, the precocious girl who takes on a strict disciplinarian of a principal and an insensitive family. BFG, the giant who refuses to eat people unlike other giants. Mr. Fox, the father who saves his family from a bunch of farmers bent on uprooting his home from under a tree. And lastly, Dahl himself, in the autobiographical story of his childhood, Boy. I recognized all of them. They shared my growing pains, my culture shock and my place as an outsider. And yet, none of it would have mattered had they not faced those problems. In the end, they worked out their own place in life. That held out hope for me. That meant a world of difference for me.

8 comments :

Charlie and the great glass elevator for me was better than the chocolate factory... it was just so funny I couldn't stop laughing throughout. I like Roald Dahl's books for adults a lot too, he was a great storyteller.

6:22 PM

wow..awesome post ab..i really like that book..though the movie despite being good, wasnt as great.

9:02 AM

@mosaliger

I haven't tried reading the second one...I couldn't understand how you could top the first one.

But now, you've inspired me to try it out.

@mind

yeah, the movie was a let down. I only saw bits and pieces, but it's the best example of how a movie can only go so far and how the word is so much better in stirring our imagination.

10:35 AM

I still laugh my head off when I read it - especially the chapter that makes fun of Americans' lack of knowledge of foriegn countries ( the one with the president in it).

7:43 PM

Lucky indeed are we who syumble across books that we can relate to especially as kids. Books have played various roles in our lives like friends and guides... and people who do not read, do not know how much poorer they are because of that.

And your explanation of the popularity of Enid Blyton books is very interesting. But you know, though I liked the various adventures her characters got into, I didn't like the prim and propah English children she portrayed...maybe because I was bought up so unconventionaly.

6:26 PM

@silverine

Hehe, yeah, I love Blyton's adventures as well. She was creative, to say the least. But somehow, I was always wishing the Famous Five or the Secret Seven would do something out of the ordinary, like separate for a while and come back. You just couldn't get into their heads too much. But that's the adolescent in me talking. I loved Blyton much more before my teen years.

9:11 AM

@mosaliger

you have really piqued my interest now...i definitely have to read it now.

9:12 AM

Roald Dahl had a very sad life and his children's books have a very silent dark side. I remember one story about the 'magic finger' where a grandmother the protagonist didn't like very much just turned into dust. I love the way Dahl turned adversity into fantasy. He's one of the best story writers ever.

11:41 PM

Newer Post Older Post Home